Monday, September 1, 2008

That's just the way I am.

"I am disheartened and disturbed when I hear people avoiding the blessings and challenges of life by indicating to themselves, their associates, and their family, "I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am." This is an attitude that brings not only complacency but also a lack of progress. It is a prime cause of unhappiness."

- Marvin J Ashton



I'm bored of people excusing their behavior by saying "that's just the way I am." Isn't the purpose of this life to better ourselves? To learn how to grow and sacrifice and change? Using this excuse is a cop-out. I know because I do it myself. "I'm not a people person" "I'm not outgoing" "I'm a procrastinator" Honestly? Say you're trying to tone your body and you notice your legs are a lot stronger than your arms - do you say "my arms are weak, and that's just the way they are." and then only do leg exercises because they're easier? Nope! You make an effort to work the weak areas and make them stronger.

Just because something's easy doesn't mean it's better than something that requires more effort. In our society we want everything to be fast, effortless and simple. But even though the easy way can be nicer, it's not always going to help us.

No comments: